Monday 18 January 2010

In a world without consequences

It wasn’t until the end of 2008 that the idea of using Second Life (SL) as an alternative space for producing, exhibiting and experiencing art ever crossed my mind. Despite having heard about SL in passing, as a refuge for internet geeks and lonely souls alike, I had never thought it relevant to venture into this parallel universe myself.

It was only when Paul Cosgrove told me about GSA’s SL island that I began to consider it a possibility, and an urgent one at that. He explained his vision for the island as an ‘alternative studio’, a place where students could try out elaborate three-dimensional ideas without space restrictions or material costs. It could operate as a ‘virtual studio’ where health and safety is no longer an issue and no holds are barred.

I promptly decided to set aside some time to create my own avatar and to familiarise myself with this new world of possibilities. Rather than an interest in replicating physical objects, my curiosity was tweaked by the wider ethical structure of a virtual world such as SL and implications this may have on the avatar behaviour and responsibility.

As far as I am aware, SL is a place where you cannot die and certainly cannot be physically hurt. You encounter little or no policing, law or order. Sat in the safety of your desk chair, you can enter a world where you have little worry about the consequences of your actions. My question was, once liberated from the constraints of mortality, does anything go?

Inspired by the release of The Baader Meinhof Complex, I began to think about the notion of ‘terrorism’ in this new virtual world. Without a fear of pain or death, ‘terror’ as we know it, ceases to exist. There is a pivotal moment in the film where you witness Ulrike Meinhof’s decision to choose the renegade path. The scene is constructed in such a way so as the audience grasps the consequences of either choice; to stay put in her ‘normal’ family life or to go on the run with the gang of fellow ideologues.

When creating my avatar in SL, I drew some (somewhat frivolous) parallels to this moment in Meinhof’s life. I was choosing a new life for myself – I could choose the ‘wrong’ path, without having to face any of the terrifying consequences that she did. So, after grappling with the technicalities of actually making my avatar, I created Ulrike Oller – my virtual homage to Meinhof.

Initially I had planned to create my own virtual terrorist faction (SLAF as it was to be known). With a group of artists or other interested people, we would start regular ‘in world’ meetings in order to discuss ideas relating the notion of ‘virtual terror’, and to plan activities, events, missions of attacks.

I quickly discovered however that this exercise was self-defeating. The very conditions which allowed for such an organisation to openly exist – a lack of moral, civil or legal boundaries – were simultaneously what caused it to have no reason to exist. SLAF did not have a cause to fight for. It existed solely because it could and not because it saw a great injustice which it hoped to put right. The problem with a ‘free world’ is that is creates a motivational deficit – there is no pressing need to change the status quo.

After reaching this conclusion, I decided to research whether there had been any other instances of terrorism in SL. I found a few interesting references. An article published in The Times in 2007 exclaims ‘Virtual jihad hits Second Life’, by scaremongering about the danger of jihadist groups using the virtual space to meet and plan ‘real world’ attacks. As though there are not many more subtle and covert ways of communicating?! The same piece also makes reference to the ‘Second Life Liberation Army’ a virtually ‘armed’ faction which has found political cause for concern with in SL – fighting for the liberation of avatars from what it sees as the tyrannical rule of Linden Labs (SL’s creators).

Whatever the case, it now seems clear to me that the only logical way of conducting a meaningful attack on Linden Labs, or whatever else is your cause for concern within SL, is by using techniques akin to computer hacking. By creating a scripted intervention that affects the very fabric of the virtual society. Alas, for someone who has only just about grasped the basics of walking in a straight line, this seems a far off and remote possibility and something I will be forced to leave up to those who really care.

References:
Second Life’s in-world terrorism and the struggle for digital rights

Virtual jihad hits Second Life website

Second Life Liberation Army

Second Life Left Unity

0 comments:

Post a Comment